Saturday, December 18, 2010

traditions

I can hardly believe that Christmas is less than a week away. To be completely honest, I'm not sure I ready for it. Not mentally, not emotionally. We're traveling a few hours north to visit my family (which isn't bad) but truthfully I'm tired of always doing the traveling. Besides the weather being unpredictable, I'm not really that close to my dad nor my step family for that matter. While my step family includes some super wonderful people, they have their own lives and own "traditions". Rarely has any of them come to visit me/us (yes, I've considered that there may be something wrong with me but the truth of the matter is-thier traditions center around them staying within 20 mins of home-super long story-not going there) it's always "when are you coming home to see us?" My home is here, in southern Illinois.

I think the root of all this is that I'd like to have my own traditions. I'd also like/love to incorporate a few traditions that my I used to partake in when my mom was alive. You see, I am a military brat and my folks would bring home students from the base who couldn't get home for the holidays. Mom would get up super duper early to start cooking (ok, maybe not so much fun but I do like to cook!!). By 11 the kids would come over. Soon there after everyone would be playing some kind of game, nibbling on some of the appetizers, and laughing hysterically. By 2 or 3 o'clock dinner would be ready and we would all sit down in our respective spots (I got the kiddie table!). The kids would talk about their families back home and traditions they normally had at their homes. After eating we would play more games, watch the tv, and nap. Prior to leaving, each kid would have already made a call home to mom and dad. sigh....those WERE the days.

By the way...I lost 1.8 pounds this last weigh in. I am .3 pounds away from being under 200. So very excited about that! I am also 2.? pounds way from hitting my 10% (21 lbs lost) goals for ww. I'm thinking about changing my weigh in day to later in the week but don't know which day would be best....currently I weigh in on Tuesday mornings.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your weight loss!

    My hubby and I don't have our own traditions yet, either. We still go to our parents' houses. Maybe we will start our own when baby comes. For now, it hasn't bothered me too badly but my drive isn't nearly as long as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how exciting to be so close to that milestone, especially staying consistent during the holidays. I know what you mean about wanting your own traditions. Our family time with our own little family is really limited due to spending Christmas with the different sides of our families. It gets hectic. This might be the right time for you to start carving out some of your own traditions. Maybe only go "back home" for Christmas OR Thanksgiving. It'll be easier now than once you have kids and everybody wants to see them. Just make sure to keep that connection strong, bc it'll be important to you when you have kids.

    Whatever you do, I hope you have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great!! Keep it up and stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete