Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dec 4th Reverb10-Wonder

Prompt: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

I had to consult a dictionary (dictionary.com) on this one. Don’t get me wrong, I know what the word wonder means; I just wasn’t sure in what form I would use it. I’ve opted to use it in the form a verb (example two: 2. to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe; marvel (often fol. by at ): He wondered at her composure in such a crisis.). I’m also going to see how many times I can use the word wonder (for sheets and giggles) in this post.

It’s been a WONDERful year. I’ve made good strides at making healthy changes. With a friend I “trained” for and completed my first half marathon early this year. I say trained loosely as I didn’t do much more than walk the thing. Late September I joined Weight Watchers and have lost 16 pounds so far. Without my friends, I participated in my 2nd half marathon early October. Jogging and walking the entire thing. After each accomplishment I am filled with a sense of wonder. Did I really do this? Can I continue to do this? I wonder I wonder I wonder fills my brain.

Even though I have had a sense of wonder after each accomplishment, I was filled with the most wonder at the completion of the 2nd half marathon as I did it by myself (literally-no one walk/jogged next to me). I told myself I would do it and I did. I wanted so badly to cop out of the race. Even after I was on my way to the race site I wanted to turn around and go home. But I started the race and worked through wanting to quit. Throughout the race I wondered why I was even bothering since I’m not a runner and it really didn’t (at the time) look like I would be a runner. I never did figure out why I continued but I’m glad I did. I finished the race a few minutes faster than before. And despite my lack of training my legs and feet felt great. Can you imagine how WONDERful I would have done had I prepared accordingly?!? And I can’t help to think that if I had such a WONDERful year this year with making a few changes how WONDERful a year I will have next year by stepping up my game just a smidge!

1 comment:

  1. You did wonderful!! Could not resist!!

    I hear you on the race thing. I've done 2 5k's and 1 10k and felt the same way. The 5k's were great because they were mostly for walkers. The 10k, however, was a whole different story. Talk about serious business!!! Runners all the way and I'm not quite there yet! Anyway, I am anxious for the next one.

    Keep it up and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete