Thursday, January 3, 2013

All in the name of Happiness!

Looking over last years “to do” list saddens me a bit…short, broad, and incomplete. It’s almost as if I was setting myself up for failure!! Saving money, losing weight, paying off debt, obtaining part time employment, reading, and of course wogging. Eight things on my list; only four got touched with only two completed. And instead of losing weight, I gained 30. I’m thinking this year I’m going to change it up a bit. Maybe I’ll relieve some pressure from myself and not put a number on things! Before I get to that list, let me toot my horn and shed some light on what I did do (trust me, it’ll make me feel better!!).

 
Last year I participated (and completed) in 12 5k’s, 1 10k, and 2 ½ marathons. No PRs were set but that wasn’t the goal or the point. The point was to go and do. I did. I also went zip lining, joined a fitness center, paid off 12% of my debt, and read 16 books. I think the most important thing accomplished from last year is the fact that I started to cut myself some slack. I’m human. I can only do so much. While many of the things I did last year is/are a blur (seriously-I was shocked at the list of celebs that had died throughout the year that I didn’t remember passing!!) and probably done on auto pilot I do remember repeating “breathe, it’s ok, you know what you’re capable of and owe no one any apologies for what you think is your short coming.” All in the name of SANITY!! :0)
  
What would I like to see from 2013 from myself (because I know I can’t change the entire world’s outlook)? To start, I’d like quality rather than quantity; to expand my knowledge; to choose positive over negative; to “let it go” the things I CAN’T change/influence.
  
Breaking it down:
 
Quality vs. quantity:

o Less time on computer; more time focused on hubs and playing with dogs

o Buying based on our needs (and using the items) vs. buying items because they are on sale (then letting them sit and tossing because they have spoiled).

o More time working towards a 5k; less 5k’s (at first). It was a wonderful goal (in an attempt to get me more active) to “participate in 12 5k’s” but I’m not confident that I got much good out of completing the goal. I’m certainly not in better shape for doing all of them. Heck, I probably wouldn’t have done so many if it hadn’t been for my BFF Heather.

Expand my knowledge:

o Reading books that will help ease future circumstances (example Caring for aging parents; Simple Acts of Gratitude; 21 Days to Master Success & Inner Peace)

o Learn a new language
 
Choose positive over negative and to “let it go” the things I CAN’T change/influence is going to be tricky and most likely a work in progress. One of the books I am revisiting this year is “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin. I got half way thru the book the last time before I petered out. It was a great read and very inspirational (I even lost 50lbs that year). I need to figure out how to keep inspired when not reading the book.

Anyone interested in doing a "Happiness Project" Challenge with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment