Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wow...what a morning!


I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I got off my rear end this weekend morning and went for a walk/jog (mostly walking) by myself, no one there to hold my hand. I feel awesome and energized now. I had to take my car in for oil change and opted to walk back (the long way) rather than (then?) have the hubby come get me. I had mapped a route out last night but half way through the walk I realized that I could not get to the second walking path because there was no "on ramp". Walks are often more enjoyable when you don't see the same scenery over and over again so I was a little disappointed. As it turns out it wasn't a big deal, only about 1/2 mile was a "do over". Oh yeah, the walk was 4 miles (according to the map I created on sparkpeople.com). I did it in 1 hour and 11 mins. My pedometer (an Omron) said I took 9055 steps but that it amounted to 2.86 miles. WTF!! This confuses me AND may disappoint me if the pedometer is correct. But who do I believe; the map I created on Sparkpeople or the pedometer? If the pedometer is not correct, then why did I buy it? Normally I have always felt comfortable with my pedometer being accurate but I don't know now, especially since after my walks this past week, the pedometer has differed from mapquest. To add to my confusion, many websites state that the average walking mile is 2000 steps.

1 comment:

  1. I can't really offer much advice with a pedometer...I've never used one! I've heard that heart-rate watches work pretty well. I know what you mean about changing up the route...it can get so boring doing the same walk over and over. Sometimes I'll put my dogs in the car, and we'll drive over to a different neighborhood, just for a change of pace. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete